Before we share our recipe for the perfect pre-workout, we need to talk about what it is that makes a great pre-workout. A pre-workout should consist of complex carbohydrates for sustained energy, protein for muscle repair, and very little fat for quicker digestion. As mentioned in our nutrient timing guide post, we recommend having your pre-workout meal about 90 minutes before your workout.
Our favorite pre-workout is oats in yogurt topped with honey. You can also add an optional fruit topping like blueberries, bananas, etc. Here’s our recipe:
– 200 grams of low-fat Greek yogurt
– 40 grams of old fashion oats
– 21 grams of honey
– 100 grams of blueberries
– 100 grams of bananas
– 100 grams of strawberries
- Measure out 200 grams of low-fat Greek yogurt into a bowl (I use Fage Total 0%).
- Add 40 grams of old fashion oats to the bowl.
- Thoroughly mix the oats into the yogurt.
- Cover bowl with saran wrap and let sit in the refrigerator overnight.
- When you are ready to eat, add 21 grams of honey.
- Add optional toppings (macros not included in the nutrition label below).
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 331||Calories from Fat 27|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 50g||24%|