Are you craving spaghetti and meatballs, but don’t want to use all of your macros on one meal? We don’t blame you! Try our spaghetti squash with turkey meatballs recipe. This macro friendly dish is tasty and filling – without sacrificing your day of eating.
– 2 spaghetti squash
– 16 ounces ground turkey (93% lean)
– 2 cans diced tomatoes
– 20 milliliters olive oil
– ¼ cup bread crumbs
– 1 egg
– Italian seasoning
– hot sauce
- Preheat an oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Stand the squash upright and cut in half lengthwise from top to bottom. Using a large spoon, scoop out the seeds and discard. Lightly drizzle (and rub) the inside of the squash halves with olive oil. Sprinkle lightly with salt and pepper — roast in the oven cut-side down on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 40-60 minutes, depending on the size of the squash.
- In a 3 quart saucepan, combine the diced tomatoes with Italian seasoning mix. Let simmer over low heat while the squash cooks.
- In a medium-size bowl, mix the turkey, egg and bread crumbs. Season with Italian seasoning. Roll out eight 2 ounce meatballs.
- Preheat a pan to medium-low, add meatballs and simmer for 15-20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. Meatballs are ready when they are no longer pink.
- Squash is ready when golden, and you can easily pierce a fork into the squash’s shell.
- Remove from the oven and let cool for about 10 minutes. Wearing oven mitts (the squash will still be very hot), gently scrape out the inside of the squash with a fork.
- To serve, measure 200 grams of spaghetti squash on your plate, top with ½ cup sauce and two meatballs!
This recipe is super macro-friendly, so based on your individual macros needs, you could potentially have two servings. Also, if you need more carbs, feel free to add bread. Now that’s Italian!
|Amount Per Serving|
|Calories 335||Calories from Fat 135|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 15g||22%|
|Total Carbohydrate 24g||12%|